The Teal pumpkin project is a worldwide movement to create a safer, happier Halloween for all kids with food allergies. It promotes and raises awareness throughout the Halloween Season
Many foods manufactured today can contain ingredients that have been linked to food allergies across kids and adults. Milk (Dairy), Nuts (tree nuts), Peanuts, Shellfish, Eggs, Soy, Mustard, Wheat (flour / Gluten) and soy ingredients that are often noted as potential allergens on food labels.
So ... tricker treating for kids that have one or more of these allergies can be difficult, to say the least.
The Teal Pumpkin project was Launched in 2014 by Food Allergy Research & Education (FARE), the Teal Pumpkin Project® promotes safety, inclusion and respect of individuals managing food allergies. This movement offers an alternative for kids with food allergies, as well as other children for whom candy is not an option, and keeps Halloween a fun, positive experience for all!
How can you participate?
Here are some fun ways you can participate:
- Paint your pumpkin teal and display it outside your home
- Provide non-food treats for trick-or-treaters (stickers, glow sticks, playing cards etc.)
- Download and display a free printable poster/sign in your window (See downloads below)
- Tell your families and friends and ask them to join the campaign
- Host an allergy-friendly Halloween party and paint pumpkins with friends
Get educated! and read more about the Teal Pumpkin Project on FARE.org's website